Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The WCAL 2017

vCash
    I think some of you need to realize what a head coaches job is all about! A school can have all the talent in the world but if the head man does not know what to do with it, they will be mediocre!! I have read all the posts and still have to disagree with alot of what is being said!! Harbour came in at Norwayne and installed a new offensive scheme!!! I am very old school and being "respectable" in a sport is NOT good enough!!! The head Coach needs to hand pick his assistants, When Smithville got rid of Schrock, the entire "crew" of long time assistants left too! I have tried to give the current Smithville coach time to build a Champion, but here we are 6 seasons later and no Championship! It is not like Bescanson inherited a bad program and needed to turn things around, he came into a winning program at Smithville.

vCash

There is a rumor

Quote Originally Posted by oldsmithie View Post
    I think some of you need to realize what a head coaches job is all about! A school can have all the talent in the world but if the head man does not know what to do with it, they will be mediocre!! I have read all the posts and still have to disagree with alot of what is being said!! Harbour came in at Norwayne and installed a new offensive scheme!!! I am very old school and being "respectable" in a sport is NOT good enough!!! The head Coach needs to hand pick his assistants, When Smithville got rid of Schrock, the entire "crew" of long time assistants left too! I have tried to give the current Smithville coach time to build a Champion, but here we are 6 seasons later and no Championship! It is not like Bescanson inherited a bad program and needed to turn things around, he came into a winning program at Smithville.
    There has been a lot of talk that Coach B will be resigning at the end of the year. Not sure how true it is but you never know. If he does it will sure give us a lot to talk about in the off season.

Chief Shenanigans Officer O-Trap's Avatar
    vCash
    Eh, I've seen decent (not great) coaches win titles if they're working with generational talent.

I certainly agree that you can't be a terrible coach and succeed, no matter the talent. Just as the best coach in the world cannot win with kids who don't care enough or won't buy into the program. There's a sum total of quality between the players and the coach that has to exist, and there's some wiggle room between each.

Make no mistake, I'm not discrediting the value of a truly great head coach. A great coach can take a team with less than elite athletic talent (but a good work ethic and a commitment to the program) and win underdog games. I've seen that first-hand plenty of times, and experienced it a few myself.

All I'm saying is that an elite level coach can make up for a team that is less than great, athletically, as long as the two are on the same page and that an elite athletic team can make up for a coach who is talented but inexperienced or less than elite, as long as the two are on the same page.

I'm not saying Harbour came in as a sub-par coach at all. I think he was a good, solid coach that had exceptional, generational athletes to work with.

As for Coach B, you're correct that he inherited a decent program at Smithville, but not a consistently good one by that point.

To my knowledge, Schrock only had one conference title in the first six years (which I believe came with a conference loss). I can certainly say the Smithies had a worse record in his first six than they have under Besancon, and yet, Schrock did turn out to be far and away the best HC Smithville has had to date. Heck, one of the best the WCL/WCAL has ever seen.

And let's be fair to Coach Besancon as well. It isn't as though they've not been in the hunt for the playoffs almost every year, and they did, in fact, win an underdog game during the season in which they did make the playoffs under Coach B.

They've not had a title in the last six years, but they've been in the hunt, and they've been in the playoffs. Besancon has his own system, but I'd still venture to guess that much of it is informed by the Schrock system he played and coached in. I'd like to see more from him before bringing the axe down. I think the teams he's led on the field have done well enough to earn him a stay.
    "When has anyone ever been persuaded by being insulted or labeled? [...] That's why people wait until they're in the voting booth. No one's watching anymore. There's no blame or shame or anything, and you can finally say what you really think, and that is a powerful thing." - Thomas Walker as Jonathan Pie

vCash
    Dial definitely gets a chunk of the credit in Dalton. You watch them for one series and you can tell the are well coached, I couldn’t say that two years ago. The kids are a big part of that, for sure. But Dial ramped it up. I agree that the dawgs will be down next season, but I expect it to only be one year, the freshman and Soph’s will both be very good next year. The Jr’s have talent, just not enough of them.

vCash
    How is that system working at Northwest right now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1486wd View Post
    Dial definitely gets a chunk of the credit in Dalton. You watch them for one series and you can tell the are well coached, I couldn’t say that two years ago. The kids are a big part of that, for sure. But Dial ramped it up. I agree that the dawgs will be down next season, but I expect it to only be one year, the freshman and Soph’s will both be very good next year. The Jr’s have talent, just not enough of them.
    I don't know enough about Dial to agree or disagree with the praise of him, but if he's as good as he sounds, don't count out next year's team just yet. That great a coach might be able to get more out of the kids than anyone expects.
    "When has anyone ever been persuaded by being insulted or labeled? [...] That's why people wait until they're in the voting booth. No one's watching anymore. There's no blame or shame or anything, and you can finally say what you really think, and that is a powerful thing." - Thomas Walker as Jonathan Pie

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by green machine View Post
    There has been a lot of talk that Coach B will be resigning at the end of the year. Not sure how true it is but you never know. If he does it will sure give us a lot to talk about in the off season.
    I would be willing to bet that Rittman wishes Coach Bescanson never left. The dumpster fire created by hiring Coach Dennis after Coach B leaving has set that program back to the stone ages. I went to the Norwayne vs. Rittman game last Friday night. I counted 25 players dressed on the Rittman squad. I admire Coach Nelson for his efforts.

vCash
    The Besancon family helped build the Smithville football program

vCash
    Ok I have argued enough and it is not good for my re-built heart! I will say one last thing on this subject: WooVader you are correct! the Besancon family had a lot to do with Smithville football...... does anyone recall how Coach B got the job??????? (sneaky dealings behind closed doors!)

vCash

Has anyyone heard this?

Ok I have argued enough and it is not good for my re-built heart! I will say one last thing on this subject: WooVader you are correct! the Besancon family had a lot to do with Smithville football...... does anyone recall how Coach B got the job??????? (sneaky dealings behind closed doors!)
    I can't seem to get any confirmation but I keep hearing that Coach B is resigning and that Smithville is looking at a coach off of the Wooster football staff and Mogadore staff? Has anyone else heard this? The people I talked to act like this is a definite but I cannot find any confirmation that any of this is true.

vCash

question answered??

I can't seem to get any confirmation but I keep hearing that Coach B is resigning and that Smithville is looking at a coach off of the Wooster football staff and Mogadore staff? Has anyone else heard this? The people I talked to act like this is a definite but I cannot find any confirmation that any of this is true.
    I may have answered my own question. I had a talk with a gentleman that is close to coach B and he said Coach B has never mentioned resigning and he would be shocked if it were to happen. So i guess only time will tell.

vCash
    I'm happy Dalton, Norwayne and Hillsdale are in the playoffs. Not too happy all the playoff games are on Friday night.

vCash
    I may have answered my own question. I had a talk with a gentleman that is close to coach B and he said Coach B has never mentioned resigning and he would be shocked if it were to happen. So i guess only time will tell.
    Never trust a village rumor mill. It creates problems far more often than it gives reliable information.

vCash
    Well the season is over for most of the league! Congrats to Dalton, Norwayne and Hillsdale! all made the playoffs! I expect to see the Bulldogs and Bobcats win big as I know the schools they are playing, don't know much about the Hillsdale opponent.

vCash
    Well the season is over for most of the league! Congrats to Dalton, Norwayne and Hillsdale! all made the playoffs! I expect to see the Bulldogs and Bobcats win big as I know the schools they are playing, don't know much about the Hillsdale opponent.
    I think Dalton makes it to the final 4. Not sure they go any further though. Norwayne will win a game. Hillsdale could easily pull off the "upset" in their game. Seneca East isn't as good as their record indicates come playoff time most years.

Just some personal observations and questions:

When will Norwayne's run come to an end? They just churn out tough team after tough team since the Multarich days.

Will Dial stay at Dalton?

I really thought Devault would be done after the way the season was playing out. The very large win over Triway made the bitter taste of the year easier to handle. They will be tough the next couple years.

Triway is in trouble. They had high hopes and came extremely short and lose a lot of players. I've heard many unhappy Titans the last few weeks. I was also told by a Triway faithful that there has been some issues with the new coach. Could he be 1 and done?

Smithville had a great group, but depth and experience could be the death blow. It was unfortunately. Hope they recover. I think they shouldn't worry too much about that coach. He's been solid when the talent was there.

Waynedale. Ouch. The coach should have spent more time studying football and hiring proper coaches. In all reality, this isn't nearly as big of a deal if he hadn't been going around telling everyone how much better previous teams should have been with different coaching. Telling a specific journalist that he could do better with the same kids was a major mistake as well. Wrestling season couldn't come soon enough. Good luck to the wrestling program. I hope my Red Riders give you a run for your money again this year.

vCash
    A Big Congrats to the WCAL!!!! all three playoff teams won! Its on to the second round for Dalton, Norwayne and Hillsdale!!! Norwayne seems to have the biggest challenge as they take on Rootstown (the number one seed in the region).

vCash
    I watched the Dalton game last week and so this week I am headed just up the road (for me) to Green and watch Norwayne and Rootstown square off! Should be a great game!!

vCash
    And then there were two!! Dalton and Hillsdale still playing!! both going for Regional titles. I went to the Norwayne game last friday, it was cold and a very small turnout of the Bobcat faithful!! Rootstown dominated the entire game!!

vCash
    Whoa. Didn't realize two teams in Region 25 made the playoffs with a .500 or worse record. It feels like it's been a minute since I'd seen that.

vCash
    OMG! What was Dial thinking??? Take a knee and it's ball game! No need to even risk a turnover! One of the biggest gifts I ever seen.

vCash
    Start talking, Coach Bescanson has resigned

vCash
    The Dalton game was exciting to watch but bad decisions at the end! Smithville will now start the process of looking for a head coach!!! Hope they go outside the area!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wcal observer View Post
    Start talking, Coach Bescanson has resigned
    Didn't resign. Asked to resign. Big difference.

vCash
    Well then oldest rider, you must have inside info! Paper said nothing about being asked to resign. I do know from talking to some parents at the games this year that, there was a growing group of people that wanted him out. Besancon is a decent man and a decent coach, but he could not get the program to where it needed to be.