Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Rozum and the 2014 Campbell Memorial Red Devils.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soupcitysoldier View Post
    I don't believe Campbell can be competitive against Lakeview or Struthers. I believe they will be competitive in the rest of the games winning 5.
    I'd agree with that. But we haven't heard much of anything lately. If they buy into Rozum his system works and they'll be competitive in most games.

Welcome to the Jungle Spread All Day's Avatar
    vCash
    2005 in salem something uike this happened like wth luke. he played.

luke will not be 20 IN SEASON.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by southbender12 View Post
    What does their schedule look like for 2014? What games do you guys think they can win or be competitive in. In the lower tier you know Lakeview will be very good this year with a lot of starters coming back and Liberty gets Bowden back, although they lose a ton of starters. LaBrae gets almost of their starters back too and Girard is always competitive, but it would seem they might take a small step back. What do you think?
    Schedule in order: Struthers, South Range, Brookfield, Girard, Jefferson Area, LaBrae, Liberty, Champion, Lakeview, Newton Falls.
    CAMPBELL MEMORIAL HIGH SCHOOL PRIDE !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
    2005 in salem something uike this happened like wth luke. he played.

luke will not be 20 IN SEASON.
    That was JJ Johnson. He was held back in the first grade because of a learning disability. It's a little different. We understand he won't be 20 during the football season.
    Last edited by Devilone; 07.14.2014 at 10:15 PM.

- Wildcat Pride
    vCash
    Do the math again. Luke will be 20 in May of 2015. That means he was born in May of 1995. He moved to the US when he was 6... had to be mid to late 2001, or early 2002.

Here's a timeline...

2001-2002: K (began in Poland, moved to the USA partially through)
    2002-2003: 1
    2003-2004: 2
    2004-2005: 3 (the year he was held back)
    2005-2006: 3
    2006-2007: 4
    2007-2008: 5
    2008-2009: 6
    2009-2010: 7
    2010-2011: 8
    2011-2012: 9
    2012-2013: 10 (the year he transferred to Struthers from Mooney)
    2013-2014: 11
    2014-2015: 12 (this year)

This is how I understand it... he started Kindergarten over in Poland at the age of 6 (which is the norm over there), and then came to the USA before his 7th birthday (before he finished Kindergarten).

I don't know what his report cards and transcripts looked like up until 3rd grade, but that's when it seems that the language barrier finally caught up with him.

Again, he didn't do anything wrong. He deserves the opportunity to play football his Senior year. Shame on the OHSAA if they rob him of that opportunity...
    Last edited by BTrev; 07.15.2014 at 12:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilone View Post
    That was JJ Johnson. He was held back in the first grade because of a learning disability. It's a little different. We understand he won't be 20 during the football season.
    learning disabilty?
    how about a language barrier?

vCash
    and if he were still at mooney this wouldnt be an issue. Take that to the bank.

vCash
    BTrev you should be his lawyer. Regardless no one has any control over this. What bearing does this kid have on the success of strutgers season?
    The offensive line is where the wins or loses will dervie from. Doesn't matter who is going to run the ball. The kid is no dave stewart.

vCash
    Then you guys won't miss him much.

vCash
    learning disabilty?
    how about a language barrier?
    He was in school for 3 years before he was held back. He started school here in kindergarten and wasn't held back until the third grade. Just my opinion but it's not the same as a learning disability.
    Last edited by Devilone; 07.15.2014 at 06:18 PM.

vCash
    and if he were still at mooney this wouldnt be an issue. Take that to the bank.
    If he was still at Mooney I have a feeling you'd be saying he shouldn't be allowed to play. Lol!!

vCash
    The rule is K to second. Not K to third grade! Im going through this right now. and his ability will play into the factor. His size and how he might contribute to pushing struthers over the top. It wont happen because of the stipulation. K to second. Sorry but rules are rules. My son was just told no. So he accepted it. And he was held back in first. But his ability far out ways the rules. He is a beast on D. So he is getting a job till collage.
    Last edited by reddevil90; 07.16.2014 at 02:01 PM.
    Campbell Red Devils Fan and School Alum! Welcome Back Coach Rozum.

vCash
    there are almost always exceptions to the rule. I feel as if this could be one. A language barrier isnt going to really affect you until say.. the third grade anyways?
    and no, if he were at mooney i wouldnt care since they have 5 witzowskis on the roster.

- Wildcat Pride
    vCash
    BTrev you should be his lawyer. Regardless no one has any control over this. What bearing does this kid have on the success of strutgers season?
    I try...

Is he talented? Yes. 1st team All District, 3rd team All State. 1500+ yards combined rushing and recieving last year (1383 on the ground, and I think 178 receiving on 17 catches) and 11 touchdowns. In 12 games. You can chalk a lot of that up to the offensive line last year (one of the best offensive lines in the last 25-30 years). Plus a 3 year starter at fullback.

Is he D1 calibur? Probably not... D3 or D2, if he even goes on to play in college.

Would he be expected to carry the team on his back like Stewart did a couple years ago? Absolutely not. Probably around 15 carries a game, would be my guess. He's tough, but he's not going to carry 3 guys on his back right up the gut 20-25 times a game for 7 yards a pop. They'd probably still play at least 3 different running backs, just like they did last year (when he was the starter). He is a play maker, but there's 2 or 3 other backs that I believe could get the job done, too.

So why do I care if he's eligible? Because he's a good kid and he deserves to play. Plain and simple.

- Wildcat Pride
    vCash
    He was in school for 3 years before he was held back. He started school here in kindergarten and wasn't held back until the third grade. Just my opinion but it's not the same as a learning disability.
    I knew that was a possibility. Still, it just strengthens the argument. Imagine you're a little kid. Right before you start Kindergarten, you move 4500 miles across the world to a new country. Then when you start school, everything is in an entirely different language. A language that you're expected to already know, and be your primary language.

Do a quick Google search for "Polish education." They start Kindergarten around age 5 or 6, go to Kindergarten for a year or 2, and go on to first grade around age 7. Polish kids are required to learn a secondary language (starting in 1st grade, I'm assuming), English being the most popular. If Luke didn't start school until he came to the United States, he wouldn't have received any formal education in English until he left Poland.

I agree. It's not the same as a learning disability. It's still a challenge.

I do think that if his appeal fails, it'll be because he started school here. I don't think it'd be fair... but it's possible.
    Last edited by BTrev; 07.15.2014 at 09:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reddevil90 View Post
    The rule is K to second. Not K to third grade! Im going through this right now. and his ability will play into the factor. His size and how he might contribute to pushing struthers over the top. It wont happen because of the stipulation. K to second. Sorry but rules are rules. My son was just told no. So he accepted it. And he was held back in first. But his ability far out ways the rules. He is a best on D. So he is getting a job till collage.
    No it's K through 3rd. It says it clearly in this years OHSAA by laws.

vCash
    So the appeal was denied. When will struthers know if he can play?

vCash
    No it's K through 3rd. It says it clearly in this years OHSAA by laws.
    Wow when we did it we were told that it was k to 2nd.. That was told to me on the phone when i spoke to the administrator when he called 2 months ago. We are still waiting on a definite answer. But it won't matter he already told the coach to shove it in so many words. But if somehow there is a chance to play he said he might consider either Edison or Big Red. I would go with Edison cause i don't like the idea of him going to school or playing for Big red.

So either way good luck. i see nothing wrong with you guy playing. just as long as its not braking the rules. Or give a real unfair advantage to the team that otherwise would have not benefited with him not on or off the team.
    Last edited by reddevil90; 07.16.2014 at 02:11 PM.

vCash
    Here is a small write up i found about campbell on wkbn... http://wkbn.com/2014/07/16/2014-camp...tball-preview/

vCash
    Any news on numbers out this year?

vCash

vCash
    I do remember Coach Rozum preferring to not dress any freshmen on the varsity squad during his past years as head coach. If he has stuck to that idea, I believe 37 is a good number of kids out for varsity football. I'm interested to see how much stronger the kids have gotten since Rozum took over the offseason conditioning program. That's definitely something the kids would have to buy into because a glaring weakness on Campbell teams over the past several years was their lack of being physically strong and in shape to play four quarters on both sides of the ball. That meant the kids weren't going to lifting or lifting very little when they were. And those that did attend were not using proper technique when lifting in the weightroom. And that weakness always showed during games. Coach Rozum has always very demanding in that weightroom. Rozum also counts on his seniors to be leaders. This will be an interesting season for Campbell football.
    Last edited by BigDean1; 07.18.2014 at 04:10 PM.
    CAMPBELL MEMORIAL HIGH SCHOOL PRIDE !!!

vCash
    I think its a great thing that Coach Rozum is back and I think over time his presence will be felt in a positive way, but they are in for a hard year here. I can't objectively look at their schedule and say that should be the favorite going into any games except for Champion and Newton Falls. This could be a 3-7 or at best 4-6 year but most people I have talked to expect it to take a while to turn around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by southbender12 View Post
    I think its a great thing that Coach Rozum is back and I think over time his presence will be felt in a positive way, but they are in for a hard year here. I can't objectively look at their schedule and say that should be the favorite going into any games except for Champion and Newton Falls. This could be a 3-7 or at best 4-6 year but most people I have talked to expect it to take a while to turn around.
    If Rozum is in for the long haul then i would expect all of the fans to be in it too. Its gonna take a year or two to start seeing what was once that made campbell a contender every year and as a area team to watch out for. This year is a weed them out year i would think. i can promise you that players that think they can run the squad and not show up for doubles and think they will get away with it on friday have another thing coming. I fear that it might push Rozum over the edge and just walk away cause these are not the same dedicated kids he had his first 3 go arounds. But if they just bite or nibble a little it might turn around a lot lot faster. The talent is always there and Rozum always recruits and has his junior and seniors talking to people about coming out! But the seniors this year i feel are gonna make or break this year. I dont have much faith in the seniors buying in this year! They are 3 years of getting away and watching the last 3 senior classes getting a free pass.. If campbell buys into Rozums plan we could just hang around in a lot of games and might just pull 1 or 2 out. And i think they could go 4-6 to 6-4. if not then wow gonna be hard to win more than 3 games.

vCash
    How long is the coach back for? anyone know?

These kids during the season are unlike any hes coahced before. Give it time beforen the kids are bashing him online like they did with Mick