Page 132 of 132 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122130131132
Results 3,276 to 3,286 of 3286

Thread: College Basketball Random Chatter 2012-2013 Season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Azubuike24 View Post

Laley, I've read where UL and IU are thinking about signing a deal for an annual series...true?
    Yes. But they also had rumors that they were close with KU and that fell through. Crean and Pitino both seem to want this though.

They have also reportedly reopened up talks with UCLA and now that Alford there that could be closer to happening then before.
    There's nothing more nerve racking than waiting in the McDonald's drive thru at 10:57 and wanting breakfast. -- Cody Zeller

vCash
    http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2131775

Not to bash KU, but I'm interested to hear what people have to say about this.

If he's retroactively ruled ineligible (just like Derrick Rose was), does KU get punished? Should they (if the NCAA precedent has already been set)?

vCash
    http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2131775

Not to bash KU, but I'm interested to hear what people have to say about this.

If he's retroactively ruled ineligible (just like Derrick Rose was), does KU get punished? Should they (if the NCAA precedent has already been set)?
    I am sure prescott will drop in to present his opinion on the matter shortly.
    Duke University Blue Devils: '91, '92, '01 & '10 National Champions

vCash
    He probably won't though. Here's a timeline though...

Derrick Rose supposedly has someone take SAT for him.
    Derrick Rose commits to Memphis.
    Derrick Rose plays for Memphis.
    Derrick Rose leaves for the NBA.
    Derrick Rose supposedly busted for not taking his own SAT.
    NCAA rules Rose ineligible, retroactively, punishes Memphis.

Insert "Ben McLemore" for Derrick Rose and "takes money and gifts" for has someone take the SAT for him and you see where the timeline goes.

Remember, the NCAA stated "strict liability." Meaning that even if a school didn't know at the time of the illegal action, they should have. And yes, given this guy's relationship to McLemore (8-year relationship, coach, father figure, helped the family with bills and also provided stuff to the kid), him breaking rules is the same as McLemore himself breaking rules.

If true, will the NCAA follow their own precedent? Probably not...

vCash
    He probably won't though.
    Of course he won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Azubuike
    Here's a timeline though...

Derrick Rose supposedly has someone take SAT for him.
    Derrick Rose commits to Memphis.
    Derrick Rose plays for Memphis.
    Derrick Rose leaves for the NBA.
    Derrick Rose supposedly busted for not taking his own SAT.
    NCAA rules Rose ineligible, retroactively, punishes Memphis.

Insert "Ben McLemore" for Derrick Rose and "takes money and gifts" for has someone take the SAT for him and you see where the timeline goes.

Remember, the NCAA stated "strict liability." Meaning that even if a school didn't know at the time of the illegal action, they should have. And yes, given this guy's relationship to McLemore (8-year relationship, coach, father figure, helped the family with bills and also provided stuff to the kid), him breaking rules is the same as McLemore himself breaking rules.

If true, will the NCAA follow their own precedent? Probably not...
    I honestly hope that nothing happens to Kansas -- because, if McLemore is the only person within the program who was aware of what happened, then what happened has nothing to do with Kansas nor Bill Self. However, as you point out, if the NCAA doesn't do anything about it, this is just another example why the NCAA is completely arbitrary and pointless. And, honestly, while they are at it, the NCAA should also give John Calipari his Final Fours back. Whether or not he actually knew what was going on has never been proven, so, if he didn't have any knowledge, why should he and the universities he represented be punished for something a wayward kid decided to do on his own accord? It's literally impossible to survey the actions of every single kid.

It's all one big joke.
    Duke University Blue Devils: '91, '92, '01 & '10 National Champions

vCash
    Yep, and I'm to the point (as I said in the Duke thread) where 1 of 2 things needs to happen.

1. The NCAA needs to go away. It's going to happen, just a matter of time. How many arbitrary victims (players, coaches, schools, etc...) will fall prey before the dynasty crumbles?

2. Rules should be put into place where punishments can only come down within a certain statute or timeframe. From my understanding, this isn't written anywhere, but arbitrarily applied by the NCAA. For instance, I'll use Duke as an example. Lets say Coach K retires in 2018. Lets say in 2022 something comes out that would've put his qualifications as an NCAA coach in jeopardy. Should the NCAA go back and vacate the 1992 NCAA Title? Would anyone care? Would they waste time doing anything even if the evidence was absolutely concrete and right in front of their faces? I'd say no. However, if they were investigating a 2-year old case with the exact same facts, I'd bet they would pursue it harder.

vCash
    The NCAA selectively punishes schools. They pick and choose the cases that they want to pursue and the ones that they'll let slide. It's almost like they are aware of the fact that stuff like this is going on everywhere, but every once in a while, they'll nail someone just to act like they're trying to police this type of activity.

vCash
    The NCAA is like the FDA.

Both organizations are corrupt, convoluted, clueless and confusing all at the same time.

I'd gladly deliver the death blow to both of them...

vCash
    The thing that sucks is cbk an cfb dont need the ncaa....at all. The other sports do, but those two could, and frankly should, leave and form their own league/postseason/whatever.
    There's nothing more nerve racking than waiting in the McDonald's drive thru at 10:57 and wanting breakfast. -- Cody Zeller

vCash
    I really don't think, after doing some reading on this, that KU will be punished for this.

I also feel like there is a lot we dont know, which I def do not want to know lol

vCash
    KU definitely shouldn't be punished for it. They didn't do anything wrong. That's why the NCAA has failed miserably with future rulings, basically setting the precedent that you are responsible for everything the athletes do, regardless of whether that's while they are at the school or not.

I remember when Eric Bledsoe was being "investigated", it was an issue with his grades as a Sophmore in HS. It turned out to be a non-issue, but had it been, he could've been ruled retroactively ineligible and therefore, implicating Kentucky. Basically, it's the NCAA saying "you should have had the forsight to know." We all know damn well big organizations like a University can barely tie their own shoes, let alone be as on top of these things as people expect. Anyone who has ever worked for the government or been in the military can attest to how wasteful it usually is...