Page 108 of 132 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98106107108109110 118 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 3286

Thread: College Basketball Random Chatter 2012-2013 Season

vCash
    Wisconsin's best shot at a Final Four was in 2005, when the Badgers went to the Elite Eight with Alando Tucker. Had Wisconsin been matched up with Villanova in that regional final game, the Badgers go to St. Louis and play for the national championship.

Instead, Wisconsin got North Carolina, who clinched its Sweet 16 game after Villanova's Allan Ray was called for a phantom traveling call in the final seconds -- the referree sounded like he was playing the harmonica he was so filled with glee to blow that whistle -- after appearing to have had successfully tied the game on an and-one play.

The athletically-superior Heels only took Bo Ryan's club out by six, though.
    Last edited by reclegend22; 03.07.2013 at 01:05 PM.
    Duke University Blue Devils: '91, '92, '01 & '10 National Champions

vCash
    A foul on that play would have been worse than the travel...so please dont say it should have been an and-1 with a chance to tie the game. Thats just as wrong as the travel.
    There's nothing more nerve racking than waiting in the McDonald's drive thru at 10:57 and wanting breakfast. -- Cody Zeller

vCash
    Basketball is the WORST sport to go back and try to justify outcome changes based on a single foul or decision.

vCash
    The real point of the post was that Bo Ryan is fully capable of getting Wisconsin to a Final Four. I believe he will before he retires.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Azubuike24 View Post
    Basketball is the WORST sport to go back and try to justify outcome changes based on a single foul or decision.
    The travel call without a doubt had an impact on the game. It essentially ended the game, as it was called in the final five seconds. It's no different than a non-call in any sport. The outcome certainly could have been different with a non-call in that instance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laley23 View Post
    A foul on that play would have been worse than the travel...so please dont say it should have been an and-1 with a chance to tie the game. Thats just as wrong as the travel.
    I said "appeared" for a reason. If you were watching the ball as the original whistle sounded, the initial reaction is that a foul was called because there was without a doubt no travel on that play. It is clear as day. The travel call came out of left field.

vCash
    You trying to re-write history, rec?

If Felton hadn't been called for a bogus 5th foul, he would have been in the game for the final 2 or 3 minutes and Carolina's 8 point lead wouldn't have evaporated without their floor general.

I can play that game too!

vCash
    Nope. Just pointing out a blatant, made-up call. Perhaps the foul on Felton was as well, but that was way too long ago for me to recall. A call that happened with 5 seconds left on the clock is always going to be more scrutinized and remembered, though. If anything, I am simply playing the what-if game. I find it interesting to wonder what might have happened had Wisconsin played Villanova, a team that I think the Badgers would have beaten with their size and methodical outside shooting. I think Wisconsin eventually would have went on to play Illinois for the national championship that year.

I just find what-if scenarios fun to think about.

vCash
    Carolina was up 66-63 when this happened, I believe. After Ray was called for traveling, McCants was fouled and made one of two from the line to lead 67-63. Kyle Lowry made it a 67-66 game by hitting a three and then heaved a desperation shot as time expired after Carolina threw away the inbounds pass. Even if the travel wasn't called, Villanova doesn't win in regulation, and Carolina even has a chance to beat them on the final possession. And that's assuming that Ray makes the free throw.

A lot of what-ifs, but if I was in your shoes, I might have seen it that way also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman02 View Post
    Carolina was up 66-63 when this happened, I believe. After Ray was called for traveling, McCants was fouled and made one of two from the line to lead 67-63. Kyle Lowry made it a 67-66 game by hitting a three and then heaved a desperation shot as time expired after Carolina threw away the inbounds pass. Even if the travel wasn't called, Villanova doesn't win in regulation, and Carolina even has a chance to beat them on the final possession. And that's assuming that Ray makes the free throw.

A lot of what-ifs, but if I was in your shoes, I might have seen it that way also.
    There is probably some truth in that. But all I can remember is the official blowing his whistle on that travel with the fervor of a deck hand calling for lifeboats to return to the Titanic. It was an egregious call. Then again, I was the world's biggest wildcat that day.

vCash
    It's pretty funny that you can remember a call that went Carolina's way, but not one that went Nova's way.
    "God must be a Tar Heel, because the sky is Carolina Blue!!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcats20 View Post
    It's pretty funny that you can remember a call that went Carolina's way, but not one that went Nova's way.
    It's not supernatural. The call that I remember happened with five seconds left, and was talked about endlessly as soon as the game was over. The foul on Felton happened during the regular course of the game, with several minutes left. As I stated, it's much easier to recall a call that occurred during the final seconds of a game, especially when so much speculation proceeded it. It's no different than the pass inference call in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl between Ohio State and Miami. It was a big call that was much scrutinized.
    Last edited by reclegend22; 03.07.2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: pass not past .. I'm an idiot

paying it forward
    vCash
    I have to say you guys have great recall. That, or you're quoting a wikipedea account of the game
    Another vision of the past has taken form in Columbus. It is the reason why Hoke responded, “Not good,” when asked what his first thought was when Ohio State hired Meyer.

vCash
    The only thing I remember about Allen Ray is his eyeball hanging out of its socket.
    It's my leg. I can't move it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
    The only thing I remember about Allen Ray is his eyeball hanging out of its socket.
    That was awful. One of those sports injuries that just makes you sick at your stomach.

vCash
    Kentucky is in big trouble @ UGA. And according to Yahoo Kyle Wiltjer may be starting to panic.

4:24 UK Kyle Wiltjer misses a 999-foot three-pointer
    It's my leg. I can't move it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vball10set View Post
    I have to say you guys have great recall. That, or you're quoting a wikipedea account of the game
    Lol. As I said, it's much easier to recall the final play of a game. Ironman02, however, seems to have taken the pill from Limitless. His account of the final five minutes had the detail of a dictionary lol. But he knows his Carolina hoops so I'm sure he remembers it very well. That was a championship season, and I can recall Duke's title years with great precision.

vCash
    Since beating Duke, Virginia has taken a nose dive. They lost to BC and just lost to FSU.

vCash
    The Maryland-UVA game on Sunday will be HUGE for both teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman02 View Post
    Since beating Duke, Virginia has taken a nose dive. They lost to BC and just lost to FSU.
    That's what happens to every team after playing like the Globetrotters against Duke. N.C. State lost five of seven games after beating Duke. Maryland lost three of its next five. Virginia has lost two in a row.

The only team that continued its high level of play after beating Duke was Miami, and even they were shaky in many of their games before eventually dropping three of four down the stretch.

It makes me sick.

vCash

College Basketball Random Chatter 2012-2013 Season

02 thinks he's an AP writer or something.....you know everything don't you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    02 thinks he's an AP writer or something.....you know everything don't you
    LOL. Wonder if those guys read the OC? That would be interesting.

vCash

They did a pretty good job overall....it really upset you though. Like when the band doesn't play during the offensive snap count.

vCash
    I seriously wonder how Wisconsin ever wins a game sometimes?

Also, HOW THE FUCK does Bo Ryan get anyone to go to that school. 20 pts with 10 mnutes to go @ MSU. The craziest thing is, its not that far off their norm. They usually have 30-something at this point. Who wants to play in that system. And its Wisconsin...not like youre on a beach or something.
    There's nothing more nerve racking than waiting in the McDonald's drive thru at 10:57 and wanting breakfast. -- Cody Zeller

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Laley23 View Post
    I seriously wonder how Wisconsin ever wins a game sometimes?

Also, HOW THE FUCK does Bo Ryan get anyone to go to that school. 20 pts with 10 mnutes to go @ MSU. The craziest thing is, its not that far off their norm. They usually have 30-something at this point. Who wants to play in that system. And its Wisconsin...not like youre on a beach or something.
    He "Likes" them a lot on FB prolly.